In case you hadn’t noticed, the return on investment of batteries isn’t flash. Thankfully there’s plenty of early adopters out there who will buy batteries regardless of ROI, because early adopters like the technology and the independence it offers. The way to sell batteries to them is to target sales message to the reasons they like batteries, which include:
- Using their excess solar energy at night rather than exporting it to the grid for a pittance.
- Avoiding ridiculously high peak electricity prices by charging their battery at low off-peak prices (or from the sun) and discharging their battery during peak price periods.
- Reducing their dependence on the grid
- Having protection against blackouts
- Going completely off grid.
So if you’re going to successfully sell to early adopters, you need to be able to demonstrate that your battery will do each of these. Because early adopters like facts and figures you’re also going to need to quantify how much your battery will do each of these.